Sunday, January 21, 2007

RSP #2

or Recruit Sustainment Program it's where the National Guard sends you before you go to basic training to get you ready for basic. The routine for RSP is get to my local armory early in the morning and we drive to another armory where a charter bus drives us down to Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base. From there you have to figure out which platoon you belong to which depends on how many times you've been to RSP and when you go to basic. The first time is really really really boring you're just in the classroom the whole time learning about the Army. This time around was much much better we did MOUT (like room clearing) on some of the broken down abandoned base house, which was actually kind of a pity seeing what can happen when funding is cut or a program is just closed. We had a special forces sergeant teach us which is always I treat I think. We started practicing as as a group of a couple entering a "room" that was spray painted on the ground and moved on to entering the broken down houses to clear the house of sergeants dressed with shemaghs, ski mask, and plastic ak-47s. It was an intro just to give use a taste but fun. Later we got new PT uniforms which make us looks like walking National Guard billboards but they're nice. Changed into them right after we got them and did a PT assessment (situps, pushups, 1mile run). Being sick I failed the run since I was kind of choking mucus as I ran once it cleared I sprinted in so I wouldn't be last. Then we got back to our dorms and I called my girlfriend up and went to bed.


Woke up at 4am and got in my PT uniform and we did PT for an hour or two. First we did circuit training then split into groups of 20 or so in a circle formation. We didn't have a sergeant with us most of the time so we just picked anything to do. One guy PTing next to me yakked and I tried my best to work my way away from him after asking if he was ok. After we finished we went back to the dorms and showered. We ate breakfast and headed back over to where we did our MOUT training but this time we all huddled inside a house. We all at the windows and practiced reporting on activity we saw from the house over the radio. I had to do it once with the special forces sergeant right next to me looking at me which made me nervous as hell. The last thing we did was go join another platoon who's sergeants were talking about financial kind of stuff which didn't seem put together too well but they tried.. and then we went home.. I'm sore but feel good after it..
and here is a video I'll end with :