Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Pranks.. are so fun!


I'm the guy on the phone.. turn it up loud so ya can hear!

the background :
Hi, my name's Patrick. My roommate Kourosh started a prank war with me a little while ago. Tonight I think I won. He was using a ... all » blackhead strip on his nose to clear his pores, and he asked me if I wanted to try it. I said sure, and we promptly put on the gayest song we could find, to fit the mood. We commenced with the blackhead strips and 10 minutes later, removed them. His was on too tight or too dry or something, and when he was peeling it off, it made a tiny cut in his nose. Not a big deal, nothing to worry about. The blackhead strips didn't even work that well. Probably because we had no business using them in the first place. But then I noticed Kourosh's nose was a little crooked, like it had been broken. It's important to note at this point that it was normal, and had nothing to do with the blackhead strip. His nose has been broken before, and we really had no idea why it looked like that. It probably always looked like that and I had never noticed before. I actually have the same problem, as I broke my nose last year. We (me and our other roommate, Sam) laughed at him and made fun of him for a little while, and then went back our rooms.

At this point, I start talking to to my buddy Elliot online. I've never met this guy, but I met him playing a video game online when i was 14 (six years ago) and we talk on AIM pretty much daily. I told him about the nose thing, and how I thought it was funny. He suggested I play a prank on him by editing a website to make it look like that could have been caused by the strip and he should seek medical help. It sounded hard, so I said no, but then he explained how easy it was. Find the website for the product, download it, open it with notepad, edit the html where the safety warnings are to say what you want, save it, re-open it, and copy paste the URL in there so it looks like it's actually on the internet and not your hard drive. I start to realize how funny this could be. We worked on the idea together for about 20 minutes, and it evolved to poison control hotline instead of medical help, but the phone number would be a phone sex line. But wait, no! "Have him call me," Elliot says. "I'll mess with him on the phone." He's really good at messing with people on AIM, so I think this is a good idea. It's taken nearly an hour to set up the prank, from editing the web page, to getting the kinks worked out, to finding placement for the hidden camera (it's not a prank unless you film it!). It's a good thing I have him calling my friend, because I'm not really clever at all and probably won't be able to make this funny.

By the time I'm finally ready, he's gone to sleep. This isn't going to work the next day, it has to be now. So I turn the camera on, give an introduction, and run into his room yelling for him to come quick and bring his phone. And the rest is in the video. Make sure to turn up the volume for the intro, because I'm whispering.